Sunday, May 29, 2016

#Weartheblue: The Story Behind My Racing Connections

^Zennor, a colt I broke at the Aiken Training Track.

I am going to take y'all back a couple of years here to 2011, where I started my job of a lifetime, as an exercise rider for one of the world's most famous outfits...Darley. Known for their prestigious breeding and talented offspring, I somehow managed to land a job working with and training these amazing creatures. I galloped and broke horses for Darley for four seasons before their time in Aiken, SC was decided to be no longer. When receiving the news I would not be returning for my fifth season I was devastated, however if I knew then what it would mean for me now, I may have seen things a little differently!

Let's fast forward to my last season (although I didn't know it) where I was gifted my absolute favorite yearling. A 2012 gelding by Bernardini out of Stellar Jayne named Fullback. Fullback was a horse I broke as a yearling for Darley and fell drastically in love with. Knowing he had no desire to be a racehorse, I asked Darley if he could be rehomed to me when his racing career did not pan out. Sure enough I was right, he was no racehorse. But with breeding like that I figured there was no way they would actually let me have him. I was wrong, so so very wrong. Before I knew it, the then 2 year old, gelding was on his way back to me. Our bond is and always will be unbreakable and something I will cherish forever. Fullback and I went on to place second at the 2015 TCA Thoroughbred Makeover in the Dressage division. 
^Fullback and I marching down center line!

Fullback has since moved on to an incredible new owner as he has some serious physical limitations that need monitoring and such limitations would prevent me from achieving the goals I have set for myself as a rider. He now has an owner that can financially take care of all his needs but also will never push him beyond his limitations. That being said, not only does he always have a home with me if need be but Darley has specifically said that he is always welcome to live out his life with them in Kentucky.

This brings me to the main reason for writing this blog. With so much negativity regarding the racing industry due to the most recent deaths at Pimlico on Preakness day, I want to share my story with my racing connections that have produced nothing but a positive relationship and understanding for the in's and out's of the racing industry.

During the 2015 TCA Thoroughbred Makeover, Darley President Jimmy Bell and Chief Operating Officer Dan Pride visited Fullback's stall daily as did their guests that flew in for the event. They watched him strut his stuff down center line, me as his jockey, again, in his new career. Talk about supportive of their horses in second careers! But wait because it gets even better...
 

I have been hesitant in talking publicly about just how far Darley is supporting my retraining of these horses for second careers. In this industry I find that remaining humble gets you farther than being a self righteous 'know it all'. That being said, I owe them so much more than just a 'thank you' blog post, but it is a start. 

Darley contacted me about a 2011 gelding back in December. A horse whose picture made my jaw drop. They filled me in on why he was no longer savvy as a racehorse and asked if I was interested. At the time I was desperately awaiting them to contact me about a horse for the 2016 Retired Racehorse Project and just like that, it happened. I immediately said yes, But at the time I still had Fullback and was working on my new life in Maryland. None the less, I reluctantly decided to tell Darley that I, in fact, could not take on this horse. Financially I was already incredibly strapped, not to mention starting a new job in an office position that left less than the desirable amount of time to spend training a horse for a second career. Their response? "Jordan, what can we do so that you can take this horse in for retraining and to the 2016 Thoroughbred Makeover? We were beyond proud of everything you did with Fullback and want to support you in doing this event again."

Darley generously made things possible for me to accept my new partner and to ensure that the training for his next career has no limitations. The fact of the matter is that Darley is not only extremely supportive but also the largest sponsor of my journey to the 2016 Thoroughbred Makeover, 

The horse I received from Darley along with the sponsorship is a 2011 gelding by Hard Spun out of True Style named Coordinate. A horse that I did know from Aiken however did not get the opportunity to ride. He continues to prove to me everyday just how successful he will be in his second career. Right now we are focusing on Dressage but I see an Eventing career in his future whether that happens at the makeover or not. 

In closure for this blog, I just want to say this is why we #weartheblue. If you ever see me at a show you will see me wearing the Darley/Godolphin blue. Whether it be my shirt, the browband or my stock tie, we rep that blue, always!  My only goal this year is to make you proud of this horse in his second career, which I know I can do. For those that want to bad mouth the racing industry as a whole, I hope this story reaches you to think before making "all-inclusive" remarks about the negative side of the racing industry. Darley did not have to bat an eye at me doing training level dressage with one of their homebreds, but they did, and none of this would have been possible without their continuous support and love for their horses. In doing so I was able to help widen their view of the potential for their horses being successful in second careers. Thank You Darley/Godolphin Racing for being supportive in more ways than I could have ever imagined; and Thank You to everyone who has supported me in my journey with these beautiful thoroughbreds, your support, kind words and encouragement have pushed me to better myself so that I can better prepare these horses for their futures! 



No comments:

Post a Comment